TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position Title: Translator-Interpreter
Position Description: Long-term position to provide Vietnamese-English translation and interpretation services for the USAD Governance for Inclusive Growth (GIG) Program
Reports to: Operations Director
Main place of work: Hanoi, Vietnam
The USAID Governance for Inclusive Growth program works with the public and private sectors in Vietnam to enhance areas of governance to facilitate broader-based growth, with an emphasis on improving the regulatory environment, systems for accountability and inclusion.
OBJECTIVES AND ACTIVITIES
The program, at the request of the Government of Vietnam, builds on the momentum that has been created for expansion of market reforms, institutional modernization, and global integration. It strives to ensure growth reaches all Vietnamese, implementing targeted efforts to address the unique challenges faced by historically disadvantaged and vulnerable groups and to empower women. The project’s five high-level objectives are:
• Increased trade and investment
• Enhanced private sector competitiveness
• Strengthened rule of law
• More effective public administration and financial management
• Greater social and economic inclusion for all citizens
The program provides technical assistance, training, and other direct support to the government, led by the prime counterpart, the Ministry of Justice, to strengthen policy making, law drafting and implementation, oversight, and other governance mechanisms. It promotes greater exchange, networking, and sharing of information nationwide within and between the government, private sector, and civil society organizations, including social organizations, research centers and universities.
Program activities include but are not limited to: providing workshops, analyses, public awareness forums and campaigns; technical assistance relevant to Trans-Pacific Partnership commitments; providing grants to increase women, ethnic minority, and other vulnerable groups’ empowerment and economic participation; and, facilitating innovative partnerships with the business community.
The Expected Results (ERs) of the program are:
• ER 1: A clear and transparent legal and regulatory framework
• ER 2: Improved accountability of public institutions
• ER 3: Improved inclusion and expanded opportunities for vulnerable populations
INDICATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
The Translator-Interpreter will ensure that all program-related documents are professionally translated, and that all verbal communications, both consecutive and simultaneous, are professionally interpreted..
The position coordinates closely with all GIG technical and administration team members. The position works under the supervision of the Operations Director or as otherwise delegated.
Principal duties and responsibilities include:
• Provide accurate and timely translation of technical and administrative documents as required
• Interpret for meetings as required
• Travel within Vietnam, as required, to provide the services described above
• Perform other duties as required, consistent with GIG Program objectives and technical skills of the position
PLACES OF WORK
The main place of work will be Hanoi, Vietnam. Travel will be required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY COMPETENCIES
The Translator-Interpreter shall meet the following requirements:
• Experience working with the Government of Vietnam and/or businesses in Vietnam is preferred, and the ability to work collaboratively with all program counterparts and program staff is required
• Ability to produce professional quality, accurate and efficient relay interpretation required
• Ability to produce professional quality legal translation from English to Vietnamese and vice-versa is required
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• Experience: At least one year of English-Vietnamese language translation and interpretation
experience, preferably in a government or business office setting
• Education: Advance linguistic-related degree preferred; Bachelors linguistic-related degree required.
• Language Skills: Excellent/fluent written and spoken English and Vietnamese required. Regional
local language familiarity is a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis but the position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis but this application window will close on COB September 26, 2016.
To apply, please submit an expression of interest and CV only to HR@VietnamGIG.com. Other supporting documents are not required until the final round of interview. Please include the position of interest in the subject line email following this format: Application - Name of position – Your full name. Only short- isted candidates will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.
Hạn cuối: 26/09/2016